SacForums.com - The Sacramento, CA Online Community
Link to SacForums | Tell a Friend | Set as Startpage | Add to Favorites | Download Forum App

SacForums.com - The Sacramento, CA Online Community

Your ad here for about $1 per day! Click here for current rates and options.
Join SacForums.com

HOME

FORUMS

MEMBERS

CALENDAR

BLOG

DEALS

SPONSORS

REGISTER

Get Social with
SacForums.com:

Sacramento Forums: The Sudbury Method - Sacramento Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Sudbury Method Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   SacGurl 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 23 November 2006 - 03:16 AM

Hello All,

I am a local homeschooling mom. In all my dealings with hundreds of Sac local plus many many  state wide hs families I continuously hear of Waldorf and Montessori schools as parents talk about alternative methods they have tried and respect.

But a few years ago I ran across our own local Sudbury school. Which in some ways closely aligns with an off shoot if you will of hs called unschooling.

http://www.sacval.org/about.html

If this fascinates you or better yet you are a local homeschooler I look forward to hearing from you. :(

Take care

SacGurl

#2 User is offline   moriarty 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationRoseville

Posted 08 December 2006 - 11:47 AM

I came from a public school. I just learned that there were other types of schooling.

I had no idea. I wonder why this is better than public school. and why somebody would send their kids there. I don't have any children at this time but, I think i should know what direction i would like to take prior to doing so.

#3 User is offline   carolesuzanne 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 December 2006 - 06:28 AM

What an intresting concept. I am from a teaching family and this is quite foregin to me. I have to invesigate this one, CaroleSuzanne  :ohno:

#4 User is offline   davidmauss 

• PipPip

Posted 15 February 2007 - 09:46 PM

I would have loved a school like that when I was younger. My mother was constantly struggling with my elementary school (Citrus Heights Elementary on Auburn), to get them to give me work that was at my level.

Later on, when I was in high school and middle school, I think I thrived on the social and conformist nature of it, having everyone do the same thing. It gave everyone a common denominator, and made it that much easier to make friends.

This is interesting though. When I have kids I might take a look at this school.

#5 User is offline   idiosyn 

• Pip

Posted 25 February 2007 - 12:41 AM

i like this idea of schooling.i wish i would be in that  school,it is an intresing idea of schooling.

#6 User is offline   CrazyMo 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 March 2007 - 06:39 PM

seriously, what's with your posts idiosyn?

#7 User is offline   attagirl 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 May 2007 - 07:39 AM

Self paced schooling, has been around for a very long time. Mainly practiced by those people who are homeschooling their children. I home school my son for about two years now. I love the fact that he works at his own pace, taking time where it is needed and being able to get though some work faster than other is great. His education level has increased quite a bit since being pulled from public school system. In fact improvements that I have seen will help him to attend college at a earlier age than most public school kids.

#8 User is offline   NiNa 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 May 2007 - 02:26 PM

Why did you pull him out of the public school?

#9 User is offline   attagirl 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 May 2007 - 08:47 AM

I pulled him from public schools because of where we were living. he was constantly being beat up, I went to the school first, who said they would take care of it...never happened he was afraid to go to school, I then approached the district about it, they said it was an administrative issue and would be handled.

The harassment and hitting stopped for about a day or two, and then started again but was worse. We gave names and everything else. I decided it was best to pull him from that situation, which has been a blessing because he gets things done so quickly and is smart.

So I will not put him back in ever, no matter where I live. If you are concerned with social interaction, there are homeschooling groups that meet regularly in most cities.

#10 User is offline   aliannahfth 

• Pip

Posted 14 July 2009 - 01:35 AM

It's good idea. My simple suggestion for your teaching method give us a practical work to children.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Site Links:

SacForums.com
Enter Forums
Forum Rules
Events Calendar
Deals
Sponsors
Advertising
Help Promote
Link To Us
Link Partners

Sacramento Info:

Sacramento News
Sacramento Weather
Sacramento Traffic
Sacramento Gas Prices
Sacramento Web Cams
Sacramento Jobs
Sacramento Real Estate
Sacramento Classifieds
Explore Sacramento
Ask Sacramento

SacKingsGear.com

All Content Copyright © 2014 SacForums.com - All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy | Site Map | Contact Us