The blaze broke out in a downstairs unit at the Watercrest Apartments at 4400 Elkhorn Blvd. around 12:15 a.m. Saturday. With fire personnel en route, witnesses said a 50-year-old man and a 17-year-old boy helped rescue 57-year-old neighbor Gloria Collins, who was stuck inside her smoke-filled apartment.
The older man went in after Collins, but the intense smoke forced the pair into a back bedroom, where the teen helped pull both through the bedroom window to safety. All three were transported by ambulance to UC Davis Medical Center for treatment of smoke inhalation.