SacForums.com - The Sacramento, CA Online Community
Link to SacForums | Tell a Friend | Set as Startpage | Add to Favorites | Download Forum App

SacForums.com - The Sacramento, CA Online Community

Your ad here for about $1 per day! Click here for current rates and options.
Join SacForums.com

HOME

FORUMS

MEMBERS

CALENDAR

BLOG

DEALS

SPONSORS

REGISTER

Get Social with
SacForums.com:

Sacramento Forums: Measure D - Arden/Arcade cityhood? - Sacramento Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Measure D - Arden/Arcade cityhood? Rate Topic: -----

Poll: Measure D - Arden/Arcade cityhood? (3 member(s) have cast votes)

How are you voting and why?

1. Yes (2 votes [66.67%])

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

2. No (1 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Mr.Carmichael 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationCarmichael, CA

Posted 06 October 2010 - 05:17 AM

I don't live in Arden/Arcade, but I'm surprised I haven't seen discussion, besides the post here, on the issue and I'm curious how people will vote, so I made a poll. I've seen hundreds of signs, mostly in opposition to Measure D, but still don't know any details. Why are you voting yes/no?

#2 User is offline   Orrymain 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 October 2010 - 12:25 PM

It is funny to be out and about and see all of the yes and no signs in that area. They are everywhere. It looks like neighbor vs neighbor from what I see by the signage.

#3 User is offline   MaryOse 

• Pip

Posted 01 November 2010 - 02:11 PM

I support Cityhood for the Arden Arcade area unconditionally. We have the ability and wherewithal to assume responsibility for our own municipal services - including public safety, infrastructure and economic development - while living within our means, with a balanced budget and ample reserves every year - with no new taxes, no new debt and no burdensome overhead. Every independent expert and accountable public official including our own County Supervisors agreed. Our other alternatives are dismal: (a) continue to rely on the broke and indebted County to maybe some day stop by and improve our neighborhoods and business environment instead of stripping off our revenues and using them elsewhere, or (b) get absorbed by the City of Sac with its similar economic condition, already analyzing moving money from assets into the general fund (horrible!), and voter willingness for new taxes to make ends meet. Why would we choose either of those alternatives that will lead to continued deterioration of our community? The best government is local government, which is what we're talking about here: a replacement (not more) government with local leaders whom we choose who are accountable to their neighbors, making decisions that affect all of us. We can do better. We deserve better. There is no better time than now: Let's stop the bleeding and start building our community and civic pride. The risk lies in doing nothing, continuing the status quo. Opponents know this and have chosen to avoid public debate since being called on their "misrepresentations." They can't support their claims - they have no independent experts, only haphazard guesses and emotional ploys. BTW, we can call ourselves anything we want. Change is hard, but this time it's the only reasonable choice, and it's a GREAT one. Vote YES on Measure D so we can grow together. Thank you.

#4 User is offline   Curmudgeon 

• Pip

Posted 02 November 2010 - 09:06 AM

<a href=http://land-of-fruits-and-nuts.blogspot.com/2010/10/yes-on-measure-d-city-of-arden-arcade.html> blog link </a>

YES ON MEASURE D - ARDEN ARCADE. Neighborhoods that have incorporated have taken control of their destinies and improved conditions for their residents, as Citrus Heights (1997), Elk Grove (2000), and Rancho Cordova (2003) have done. <i>
<i>
No doubt, tough economic times will continue, but if a new city can bring a sense of law and certainty to the community, there will be an economic revival to the area that will improve the condition of the neighborhood and increased revenues will follow, just as happened with Citrus Heights, Elk Grove, and Rancho Cordova.
<i>
<i>
Nor would this shortchange the County for business tax revenue, so long as the County makes a hard (but fair) "revenue neutrality" payments bargain. For years, the area has subsidized much of the county anyway, but will be paying a neutrality agreement for years down the road to make sure that Arden Arcade does not leave the county short. <i>
<i>
Sacramento County is just about the only county in the state with such a large urbanized population in unincorporated areas. The counties make perfect sense for implementing state programs, for the courts, and for local services in unincorporated areas that are just sparsely populated farms and ranches. It's only when the unincorporated areas turn into densely populated cities and suburbs that the county government becomes too unwieldy and not responsive enough. <i>
<i>
Empirically, I remember Citrus Heights when nearly all of what was Birdcage Walk and much of Sunrise Mall was vacant and boarded up. Now that shopping area is thriving. This in an area that was "built out" with little or no vacant space, just like Arden Arcade. That tends to happen when you have neighborhood officials just a little way down Greenback Lane who give a damn, as opposed to county supervisors who, no matter how well intentioned, are busy enough with the courts and other countywide services.

#5 User is offline   Orrymain 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 November 2010 - 10:43 AM

It sure went down to a solid defeat. I actually thought it might be a tad closer than it was, but I believe there is some concern over the money issues. I know a person who feared the area would become like Davis, controlled more by the affluent members of the city, and that's why they voted against it.

#6 User is offline   Mr.Carmichael 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationCarmichael, CA

Posted 06 November 2010 - 10:34 PM

What I finally heard after it was all said and done is that Arden Arcade world have started their cityhood with over $200 million in debt due to owing the county for lost tax revenue. Does that sound right? If so, it seems there were some falsehoods and many people probably voted against it just to be safe.

#7 User is offline   Orrymain 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 November 2010 - 01:31 AM

I hadn't heard that, so I really can't speak to it. I think people are basically afraid of change. Still, what I fear is being annexed by the city. I think that could be disastrous on many levels.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Site Links:

SacForums.com
Enter Forums
Forum Rules
Events Calendar
Deals
Sponsors
Advertising
Help Promote
Link To Us
Link Partners

Sacramento Info:

Sacramento News
Sacramento Weather
Sacramento Traffic
Sacramento Gas Prices
Sacramento Web Cams
Sacramento Jobs
Sacramento Real Estate
Sacramento Classifieds
Explore Sacramento
Ask Sacramento

SacKingsGear.com

All Content Copyright © 2014 SacForums.com - All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy | Site Map | Contact Us